Friday, August 8, 2008

Not the healthy, but the sick

So Jp and I went to a church up in Gainesville last weekend, when we were moving some of my stuff up. It's called The Rock, and we really like it. They had the Sheriff of Alachua County and the Director of Jails come in and speak. They talked to us about ministering to the people in jail. Stepping outside our comfort zone, and helping. Not just supporting, by donating money, food, or clothes, but donating time, effort, and commitment. The average reading level in the jails is 4th grade. They have over 900 inmates, when the capacity is 700. There are a lot of things they need help with, and reminded us that those are the people Jesus came for. Sinners. Not the healthy, but the sick. It was really cool to hear them speak. If you haven’t already heard this song, listen to it. "God of this city" by Chris Tomlin. It's amazing. And speaks directly to this topic. As does Robin's blog, posted on August 2nd.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I'm really excited for you Mel :)

I hope you get plugged in with an awesome group of Jesus-followers up in G-ville, and that's so cool that you're already checking things out! I get so worried about the college freshmen (especially girls) every year, because I remember how easy it was for me to take a little "Jesus vacation" when I entered the campus scene, and knowing what kind of effect that period of time had on me and my relationship with God and others... I get so worried for them.

It just makes me really happy to know that you're already thinking of how you'll keep growing in God while you're in G-ville. Seriously, I'm impressed. :)

♥love yaaaa