Thursday, July 9, 2009

Compassion

I was listening to the song "Give Me Your Eyes" by Brandon Heath and it started me thinking about a lot of things...

God cares about each and every one of us. He knows EVERYTHING that is going on in each of our lives...even down to the tiniest details. As I'm sure we all have heard and know, that God has every hair on our head counted (Matthew 10:30). How cool is that? Watching the music video to this song just made me realize how many people pass by me or I pass by them, and we don't even share eye contact. How many of us would go up to a complete stranger that is crying and just show them compassion? Or what if it IS someone we know, but either isn't our friend or could be our enemy? Triple J's message on Tuesday night discussed loving your enemies. The Bible says that of course it is easy to love your friends; even sinners do that. But loving your enemies is what sets us apart from the rest of the world. It might be an easy concept to grasp, but a hard one to put in place in our lives. Love your enemies? Well why would you want to love people who hurt you?

Because God loves us each and every day, even though we hurt Him over and over again with our sin. God showed mercy on us, that "while we were still sinners, Christ died for us". (Romans 5:8) Wow. That is amazing. And we are blessed that God's mercies are new every morning (Lamentations 3:22-23). The lyrics to the chorus and one verse of the song are here below in case you don't know the song or just want to read it. It just makes us more aware that we need to have compassion on others just as God has compassion on us. We need to care more, love more, trust more.


Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me you heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see

I’ve been here a million times
A couple of million eyes
Just move and pass me by
I swear I never thought that I was wrong
I need a second glance
Give me a second chance
To see the way you’ve seen the people all along

2 comments:

Poiriers Perspective said...

That was such a great talk Tuesday night, That whole series that we talked about has been so life impacting.

When you stop and think about (Matthew 10:30) doesn't it make you just think how insignificant our life is. I mean i don't even know how many hairs are on my own head much less every single person in this world, But God does. it just makes my mind go crazy.

That songs it such an amazing song We pass by people all the time that are hurting. People think they can hide the hurt but the problem his hurt is universal. but us as christian should be all over people like that, We should be the salt of the earth.

Great Post Babe this really talked about some life impacting things.
I love you babe!!

uthpastorjj said...

I agree, great post MRS.

Tuesday night was probably the most personal message I've given in 10 years of ministry. Personal and emotional. Thanks for the comments.

It is sad that every day there are hundred or thousands of people who walk/drive by, each with their own story. And yet, we are so focused on our lives and our stories that we never think of interacting. Thanks for the reminder.