Tuesday, June 9, 2009

First day as a dental hygienist......'s shadow :)

So today was my first day shadowing Brenda, a Registered Dental Hygienist at Today’s Dental. It was an awesome experience! I need 16 hours of “observation” before I can even apply to the Dental Program, which is why I am shadowing. Plus I’m getting an actual feel on what it will be like as a RDH. I learned some very interesting things today. Let me share them with you now...

Did you know that you are supposed to brush your teeth AS SOON AS you wake up...before eating breakfast or drinking anything? I had known people who had brushed their teeth before breakfast, but do you know WHY it is important? Here’s why: bacteria and plaque form on your teeth overnight and then you eat your breakfast and drink your coffee which bakes it on even more. Then when you go to brush your teeth after, it has created a shield, blocking you from removing the bacteria in your mouth. Brenda gave the following analogy: “You don’t want to eat your breakfast on dirty dishes, do you? Your teeth are the dishes, and you want them clean before you eat or drink anything.” Good illustration, I thought.

Also... Did you know that people normally chew on only ONE side of their mouth? For you weird ones out there, you may chew on both. Anywho...guess which side of your mouth is cleaner?...the one you chew on!!! Most people may think it should be the opposite but actually since food is being chewed on that side, it is pushing around the tarter and plaque which is keeping the bacteria from forming in one spot. There ya go.

Overall, I had a really great time. The people there are extremely nice, and encouraging me to do what I love. I got really excited being there today, and I felt really comfortable. I also got to do the x-rays on the patients! How awesome! I can’t wait to go back next Tuesday! :)

3 comments:

Robin said...

sounds fun! :)

Poiriers Perspective said...

Well that sounds like you had a great time babe. Im really excited that you are enjoying the experience. That is so cool that you got to do the x-ray on the person!! As for the chewing on one side of the mouth does it count if you chew on one side and then switch to the other? Well i cant wait to read about next tuesdays experience!!!
I love you babe!!
-Joseph poirier

Beth said...

You are crazy. I'm glad that someone is willing to look into other people's mouths. I would find it too creepy. =)